The Life Enrichment and Personal Services Assistant
works closely to provide direct personal and social support services, including assistance with relocation to appropriate care facilities, transportation needs and social activities enrichment to the Sisters of the Holy Names living at Merrill Gardens, Villas at Saratoga, Saratoga Retirement Community and Cedar Creek Los Gatos.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Creates a welcoming environment, including social activities, where Sisters can experience SNJM community life within a larger facility by coordinating services for the Sisters living in various care facilities.
- Is responsive to and aware of the physical and emotional well-being of each Sister. Communicates all relevant health care related information to Clinical Care Coordinator.
- Manages and orders the inventory of common supplies used by the Sisters and makes purchases for individual Sisters as requested. Delivers supplies to Merrill Gardens Community Room and Sisters’ rooms on a weekly basis or as needed.
- Oversees scheduling and service of housekeeping vendor for annual deep cleaning of Sisters' rooms at Merrill Gardens.
- Assists with SNJM sponsored activities at the Marie Rose Center, Merrill Gardens, Villas at Saratoga, Saratoga Retirement Community and Cedar Creek Los Gatos including the purchasing of food, room set-up and assisting with Sisters in wheelchairs, etc.
- Assists with planning field trips and SNJM events including ordering rental vans, providing the support necessary to ensure appropriate attire and purchasing food and supplies as needed.
- Provide support as needed for funeral receptions or other community Masses.
- Assists Sisters in wheelchairs to ensure they have opportunities to enjoy the garden and patio areas at Villas at Saratoga and Saratoga Retirement Community.
- Schedules transportation and coordinates Sisters’ medical appointments with California Health and Well-Being team and facilities.
- Prepares for the driver documents for physician appointments (i.e. copies of insurance card/medical history, Sister appointment notification slips, etc.)
- Provides safe, friendly transportation services to Sisters for medical appointments, shopping and other needs as determined.
- Is responsible for scheduling and ensuring routine care car maintenance, examples: car wash, fuel, oil change, windshield wipers replaces, fluids refilled, etc.
- Performs regular pre-trip inspection of vehicles. Ensures vehicles are safe for travel and immediately notifies supervisor of any concerns regarding vehicles.
- Coordinates with the Clinical Care Coordinator and the Community Life/Activities Coordinator the residential moves for the Sisters to various care facilities (Merrill Gardens, Villas at Saratoga, Saratoga Retirement Community and Cedar Creek Los Gatos) or within their current facility.
- Assists and coordinates cleaning of rooms after a Sister’s move or death.
- Organizes and regularly inventories designated areas of SNJM storage of furniture, household items, and medical equipment. As appropriate, arranges for disposal and donation of excess items.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Works in close collaboration with Sisters who reside in the following retirement communities: Merrill Gardens, Villas at Saratoga, Saratoga Retirement Community and Cedar Creek Los Gatos. This position works closely with the SNJM Clinical Care Coordinators, Assistant Clinical Care Coordinators, Benefits Coordinator/Assistant Care Coordinator, and others as designated.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, individuals must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
College degree preferred or equivalent work experience.
Three to five year’s work-related experience providing similar services to elderly or disabled population preferred. Demonstrated organizational and planning skills related to small events and activities.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND/OR WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Must be supportive of the mission of the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary.
- Must model SNJM Guiding Values in carrying out work activities and responsibilities.
- Must respect and maintain confidentiality of sensitive information and to respect professional boundaries.
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in the midst of change or re-direction.
- Knowledge and sensitivity to the needs of the aging, end of life care and women’s health issues.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a timely manner.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office 2010 and other computer software programs including, but not limited to, Word, Excel, Outlook, and Internet browsers. Ability to effectively use smartphone.
- Ability to maintain collaborative relationships with SNJM Sisters, staff and external contacts.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and within a team environment.
- Demonstrated written and verbal skills to assure effective communication.
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service and to communicate effectively with a broad range of individuals and groups
- Ability to respond to emergencies appropriately and calmly.
- Ability to work patiently with Sisters who may have difficulty with hearing, mobility, eyesight, memory, etc.
- Ability to provide Sisters with transfer assistance to and from activities using personal vehicle or SNJM Community vehicle.
- Must have a current, unrestricted driver’s license with verifiable excellent driving record.
- Must adhere to all SNJM safety and driving policies.
- Prefer at least one year of experience in the safe operation of car, passenger van, and minibus vehicles.
- Ability to work and drive in varied weather conditions and to read/comprehend maps and/or navigation systems.
- Must be able to work occasional weekends.
- Position requires both sedentary work in an office setting and travel/site visits to Sisters’ homes, residential and assisted living facilities and medical facilities.
- Must be able to assist Sisters with transportation and with getting into and out of vehicles.
- Must be able to safely and regularly push/pull 50 lbs. and lift up to 35 lbs.
- Use safe body mechanics in all areas of responsibility.
- Must be able to consistently, regularly and safely bend, squat, stretch and maneuver to assist in securing wheelchairs, motorized scooters and other medical equipment in vehicles.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods while driving vehicles.
Computer (PC) keyboard, mouse; office telephone/voice mail system; fax/copier, scanner, smartphone and other office equipment. SNJM vehicles, handicapped Van/Minibus, wheelchairs, walkers.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits.
SNJM is committed to continually building a workplace that exemplifies its values and vision of being hospitable to everyone. The Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary (SNJM) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, submit your resume along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org