The Community Life/Activities Coordinator, based in Campbell, California, helps to create an environment in which the Sisters can interact with others in the facility and access available services provided. The person in this role acts as an advocate for the Sisters when they are unable to do so for themselves and is available for emergencies, needs and requests as they arise.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Keeps Sisters informed of SNJM community news and events.
- Facilitates celebrations and spiritual opportunities, and addresses pastoral care and personal needs.
- Orients Sisters to the facility’s procedures and policies
- Arranges transportation as needed for events at other locations.
- Schedules Sister visitors and their availability to provide needed assistance.
- Facilitates problem solving for issues that may arise among Sisters, or between Sisters and other residents.
- Collaborates with the Community Life Coordinator at the Villa at Saratoga regarding annual program budget, emergency phone rotation and support services personnel.
Health Needs/Case Management:
- Arranges accompaniment for Sisters during procedures/surgeries, ER emergencies and hospitalization.
- Visits Sisters in the hospital and coordinates visitors as requested by the patient.
- Apprises the Clinical Care Coordinator concerning changes in health needs of the Sisters.
- Maintains updated personal records such as emergency notification forms and end of life wishes.
- Keeps PLT, Director of Healthcare Services and California Benefits Coordinator appropriately informed.
Liaison with Facility:
- Develops effective working relationships with Merrill Gardens administration.
- Fosters a friendly relationship with other residents and staff.
- Meets regularly with the Clinical Care Coordinator, Merrill Gardens Director and nurse about the physical and emotional well-being of the Sisters, availability of new rooms and other pertinent issues.
- Meets annually with Merrill Gardens corporate managers and on-site Director along with Clinical Care Coordinator, SNJM CFO, Director of Healthcare Services and PLT liaisons
- Works with regional treasurer to see that Sisters’ individual financial needs are met.
- Keeps in contact with family members and close friends of Sisters, particularly as their health becomes more fragile.
- Works with Sister Services Assistant to pack and prepare the room when a Sister moves out.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Supervises the Sister Services Assistant.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, individuals must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
Three to five years’ work related experience providing services to elderly population preferred. Must have demonstrated management skills.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND/OR WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Must be supportive of the mission of the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary.
- Must model SNJM Guiding Values in carrying out work activities and responsibilities.
- Must respect and maintain confidentiality of sensitive information and respect professional boundaries.
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability in the midst of change or re-direction.
- Knowledge and sensitivity to the needs of the aging, end-of-life care, and women’s health issues.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a timely manner.
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite and other computer software programs including, but not limited to, Word, Excel, Outlook, and internet browsers.
- Ability to maintain collaborative relationships with SNJM Sisters, staff, and external contacts.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and within a team environment.
- Demonstrated written and verbal skills to assure effective communication.
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service and to communicate effectively with a broad range of individuals and groups.
- Ability to respond to emergencies appropriately and calmly.
- Ability to work patiently with Sisters who may have difficulty with hearing, mobility, eyesight, memory, etc.
- Ability to provide Sisters with transfer assistance to and from activities using personal vehicle or SNJM Community vehicle.
- Must have a current, unrestricted driver’s license with verifiable excellent driving record.
- Must adhere to all SNJM safety and driving policies.
- Position requires working in an office environment and in a senior retirement facility.
- Use of safe body mechanics in all areas of responsibility.
- Must be able to assist Sisters with transportation and with getting into and out of vehicles.
- Requires ability to appropriately lift, maneuver wheelchairs, walkers, and other medical equipment.
Computer (PC) keyboard, mouse; office telephone/voice mail system; fax/copier, scanner, work cell phone and SNJM vehicles.
30 hours/week, Monday - Friday. Willingness to adjust hours as need arises. Occasionally available to work evening and/or weekend hours for special occasions.
The above description generally reflects the primary functions of the position. The above statements shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be required for the position.
SNJM is committed to continually building a workplace that exemplifies its values and vision of being hospitable to everyone. The Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary (SNJM) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package including medical/dental, group life and disability coverage, a 401K plan, and paid time off.
To learn more about the mission and vision of the Sisters of the Holy Names visit: www.snjmusontario.org
: In order to be considered an applicant for this position, please complete our online employment application at https://snjm.catsone.com/careers
. Click “Apply Now” to complete and submit the online application